Homemade Wheat Bread
I’m on vacation staying at my friend Aubrey’s house having a wonderful time playing and learning new yummy recipes! Aubrey makes the best wheat bread ever and it even tastes great in a sandwich. I got to learn from her how to make this soft, yummy bread. We made it and I could have seriously inhaled the whole loaf right out of the oven, but I used my self-control and only ate one slice (the heel, my favorite) with honey and butter, simply heavenly!
Favorite Wheat Bread
2 T. yeast
1 cup water
1 tsp. sugar
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup oil
4 T. applesauce
3 tsp. salt
3 cup warm water
10 cups flour, half wheat
- First proof yeast by putting 1 cup water and yeast in large mixing bowl with 1 tsp. sugar. Let sit until yeast starts to bubble up a bit.
- Add wheat flour, brown sugar, oil, applesauce, salt and 3 cups warm water. If using a bread mixer put in the bread hook and turn on to stir for 5 min. Scrap down the side of bowl about half way through when done mixing then let sit for 5 min.
- Finally add the white flour and mix until the dough doesn’t stick to the sides. May need to add 1/2 to 3/4 cup flour while mixing to get this to happen. The dough is somewhat sticky but when touched it should not stay on your finger.
- Oil a non-metal bowl and put dough in the bowl. Punch down the dough in the middle and knead by pulling the dough over to the middle pushing down until you have done this all around the dough. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand until double in size, about 50 min. depending on the temperature of your room.
- Divide dough equally into four balls. Knead each ball by repeating what you did above. Pull dough and twist and shape into an oval the size of your bread pan tucking the ends under. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until double.
- Bake at 350 degrees on the bottom rack for 30 min.
- Let cool 5 min. Turn out onto cooling rack and cool if you can wait that long to cut into it.